Already tired of rice and beans

Hey friends and fellow cooks: we had an idea . . .
Cooking here has presented quite a challenge, not only b/c of limited ingredients but also because we don’t have an oven (just a small, propane stovetop). Also, food doesn’t seem to keep as long here, perhaps b/c of the heat and humidity (which causes our fridge to be quite humid as well). Anyway, we know that many of you enjoy cooking as much as we do and thought you might have some good ideas for meals that we can fix in lieu of the typical fare (rice and beans). Ingredients for Chinese food abound here but that’s never been one of our specialties, so we’d love to hear from those of you who have a good stir-fry recipe. Also, we’d love to have feedback on good, stovetop meals with pretty basic ingredients. You can send a recipe/idea in the form of a comment attached to this blog, or you can email us: tghagen@earthlink.net. We have listed some easy ingredients for us to gather and keep on hand below, but if you have a good idea that includes something you don’t find on this list, send it along anyway b/c we just might be able to find it. Thanks for helping to make our evening meals a bit more interesting!
Produce (likely to change): papaya, pineapple, apples, grapes, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, squash and zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, avocado, corn, limes.
Dairy: milk, eggs, cheese (most kinds), yogurt, butter.
Miscellaneous: pinto, kidney and black beans, white rice, lentils, pasta, rice noodles, flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and pepper, most spices, bread/breadcrumbs, chicken boullion, canned tomato sauce, most canned veggies, some canned soups, ramen noodles (they’re everywhere), honey, peanut butter, coconut milk, cooking oils, nuts.
Also: chicken, pork, and some questionable looking ground beef.
Gracias!


8 Comments:
hello there!
just your friendly neighborhood NON-cooking member of the family.
sorry. no food ideas. That's really interresting that you are cooking on a propane stove top every meal. (don't know what I thought you were cooking on...) Sounds like camping out. Any hotdogs available? Beenie Weenies!!! Now there's a food idea!!
Hope someone else has some better ideas for ya!
much love,
Cindy
p.s. How are the spiders?
also meant to add...
very nice picture of the rice and beans. very colorful.
could be an advertisement.
From your previous post, it seems like baked rooster may be a good option =)
If you could score some nori (baked seaweed, at the Chinese places), how about sushi? Even if you don't have any fish, mango (or papaya), cream cheese, and cucumber make a good filling. Here's a recipe Elizabeth and I do when we don't feel like rolling it:
-Cook rice (short grain if avail) -Heat up some vinegar (rice vinegar if avail) and sugar
-Scoop a cup of rice at a time into a bowl, pour vinegar over it, and fan it. Repeat for all the rice. (or if you're lazy just mix it all together) Rice should be somewhat sticky.
-Cut nori into strips
-Put a layer of nori in a casserole dish.
-Put a layer of rice on the nori
-Put fillings on rice (slices of cream cheese, mango, cucumber, smoked salmon, etc..)
-Put another layer of rice on that, then another layer ot nori.
-Cut into cubes & eat.
If you can't find nori, I guess spinach would work.
-Daniel R.
forgot the avocado- obviously that'd be good in sushi.
Also, tsatsiki should be do-able with the ingredients you list, and would go well with some sort of flatbread.
Hi I've never really met ya'll but hopefully I will sometime soon (though I'm not going to Belize) anytime soon.
My husband offered some good food suggestions, and I should try to outdo him b/c I am in a nutrition program at USM. So I'll try:
lentil sloppy joes- when I made them I just substituted cooked lentils in for the ground beef, Daniel and I really enjoyed them
I'd love to tell you more but I function on recipes, I don't have my cookbooks now b/c we're in Hattiesburg. So I'll think about it and get back to you. I will say an excellent Healthy fruit dip, being you have access tot fresh fruit, can be made with few ingredients and here's the website.
So good luck with your cooking, Daniel and I are eating a good bit of beans and rice- being they're cheap. I get you some recipes.
Elizabeth
we want pictures of the spiders
Wow, what a beautiful dish of rice and beans. Never knew it could look so delicious. Only a great cook can do that!!! Wish I could trade out a meal with you guys... I love rice and beans, but Dane and the kids won't touch 'em. However, I'm sure it gets pretty old after a time. Some of my coworkers eat something from a local Thai restaurant called "sticky rice with mangoes" which they rave about, which I've never tried, but I thought about it when reading your list of available items. Could probably find an internet recipe, if interested.
So good to hear from you guys. Love the picture of the two of you on the porch in the hammock. Hope you are enjoying your time, in spite of inconveniences (such as spiders, roosters, sweat, too many beans, etc.)
Much love,
Cris
Dude: Glad to hear things are going well. I talked to Tim. Does your testosterone surge when you drive that big-wheeled truck? Tell Ginger we’re proud of her for holding the saccade!
Much love & Many Prayers,
Doug+
Post a Comment
<< Home